The Safe Sleep program in the Division of Violence Injury Prevention strives to educate parents, caregivers, and providers about how to ensure babies, up to 1 year of age, to have a safe and secure environment to sleep in.
Safe Sleep Tips for Babies
- Always put babies on their back to sleep for naps and at night.
- Keep babies near, but in their own crib, with a firm mattress and a tight-fitting sheet.
- Don’t put toys, blankets, pillows, or bumper pads in the crib.
- Never smoke around babies
- Breastfeed babies.
- Keep babies cool — don’t overheat the baby or the room.
For more information, visit www.nichd.nih.gov/sids.
To request infant safe sleep door knob hangers and download the safe sleep flyer, visit the MA Health Promotion Clearinghouse, https://massclearinghouse.ehs.state.ma.us.
Contact Lisa McCarthy at 617-624-5450 or Lisa.McCarthy@State.MA.US.