- Raising awareness of suicide as a public health problem
- Providing support to communities, agencies and individuals interested in suicide prevention
- Providing education and training for professionals and caregivers
- Funding community-based suicide prevention and mental health promotion programs
- Supporting and collaborating with state, regional and community suicide prevention coalitions
- Supporting and encouraging communities to collaborate across disciplines to prevent suicide and suicide attempts across the lifespan.
For more information about the program, please contact Christine at Christine.Farrell-O'Reilly@state.ma.us or 617-624-6076.
- 499 Massachusetts residents died by suicide in 2008.
- In 2008, there were 4,480 hospital stays for self-inflicted injuries.
- In 2008, there were 6,714 emergency department visits for self-inflicted injuries.
- In 2008, the number of suicides was 3 times higher than homicides.
- In 2009, the Samaritans of Massachusetts responded to over 186,000 crisis calls.
- A Closer Look: Youth Suicide Incidents