When choosing protein, go for lean meats and skinless chicken and turkey. Other sources of protein include fish or eggs, beans, nuts and seeds. To make sure you're getting protein in a healthy way:
- Remove skin from chicken and turkey to cut down on calories and fat
- Look for ground beef that is at least 90% lean
- Bake, broil, or grill foods instead of battering and frying them
- Avoid frying meat in shortening or butter - use canola or olive oil instead
- Avoid adding too much salt while cooking or buying pre-packed meat and meals with lots of sodium
Also, check out ChooseMyPlate.gov’s Protein page to learn what foods are in the protein foods group.
This information is provided by the Department of Public Health.