Portion Sizes: Children at this age need different amounts of food. Let ChooseMyPlate show you.
Body Image: Sometimes body image affects the way kids eat. Look here for more information on body image.
Packing School Lunch : At this age, kids are eating at least one meal away from home. For the meals they eat at home, you can create family meals. Here are some tips for packing school lunch:
- Buy an insulated lunch bag that your child will not mind carrying to school. The lunch bag will keep your child's lunch cold. Include an ice or cold pack in the lunch bag. Or, freeze a beverage and use it as an ice pack to keep the food cold.
- Mornings can be a hectic trying to get your kids out the door for school. Consider packing your child's lunch the night before. You can prepare it while dinner is cooking or right after dinner is finished.
- Let your child help decide what to pack for mix and match lunch by giving him/her several healthy options. Choose one food from each column to make a delicious and nutritious lunch. See if you can think of other ideas to add!
|Whole Grains||Protein Foods||Fruit||Vegetables||Extras||Drink|
Whole grain bread
Whole wheat tortilla
Whole wheat pita
Whole grain crackers
Whole wheat pasta
Bell peppers Broccoli
Low fat yogurt
Snack ideas (link to snacks)
1% Low-fat or nonfat milk
* Remember to check with your child's school to make sure it is not a nut-free school.
Examples of Mix and Match Lunches
- Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce/tomato and mustard; baby carrots and low-fat ranch dressing; apple; water; and granola bar
- Tuna salad with low-fat mayo in a whole wheat tortilla with lettuce and red bell pepper strips; orange; 1% low-fat or nonfat milk; and popcorn
Physical Activity is just as important as nutrition in keeping your child healthy.
This information is provided by the Department of Public Health.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.