Across the country, CHWs are organizing professional associations or networks at local, regional and state levels. CHW associations advocate for CHWs and the communities they serve. They give CHWs a means of gaining additional skills, getting support and recognition, sharing resources and strategies with peers and creating a unified policy advocacy voice for the workforce. If there is no network in your area, think about starting one. Contact the network nearest you for information and strategies about organizing. Also, please refer to the website of the CHW Section of the APHA for a listing of CHW organizations across the country. DPH supports the commitment of CHWs as they organize. The Massachusetts Association of Community Health Workers, founded in 2000, is one of the oldest in the country, as well as the oldest in New England.
- Massachusetts Association of Community Health Workers (MACHW)
- American Public Health Association CHW Section
- American Public Health Association (APHA) CHW Section Facebook Page
- New England CHW Coalition
Regional CHW Networks in Massachusetts
- Community Outreach Workers Network and Training Coalition (COWNT) in Springfield, Mass.
- Massachusetts Southeastern CHW Initiative – Contact: Kathy Murphy, United Interfaith Action: email@example.com
- CHW Alliance of Berkshire County
- CHEC Boston and CHEC Lowell – CHW networking meetings: