Massachusetts has a variety of experienced organizations that provide both core competency and more advanced training for community health workers. However, the need for expanded training capacity has been documented for years. When CHW certification becomes operational, even greater need is anticipated and training programs will need to be approved in order for their successful students to qualify for state certification as CHWs.
Training Programs Offering Core Competency Trainings for CHWs
- CHEC Boston - Community Health Education Center at the Boston Public Health Commission has been providing CHW trainings since 1993.
- CHEC Lowell - Community Health Education Center at Lowell Community Health Center provides trainings for CHWs.
- DPH Patient Navigator training course is a hybrid model CHW training, and includes 11 online modules as well as 16 hours of in-class training.
- Holyoke Community College offers a CHW certificate program with college credit.
- OWTI - Outreach Worker Training Institute is a CHW training center based at Central Massachusetts AHEC in Worcester, Mass.
- United Interfaith Action of Southeastern Massachusetts CHW Initiative – training program in collaboration with Bristol Community College.
- Western Massachusetts Public Health Training Center: Offers training programs for frontline public health workers.