In addition to ongoing programmatic support of CHW services and training, and capacity-building initiatives to strengthen CHW workforce development, DPH promotes the engagement of CHWs to its partners and grantees. CHWs work in a variety of DPH programs ranging from HIV/AIDS treatment and sexual assault prevention to youth violence prevention and community-based primary care. DPH provides policy guidance and technical assistance on engaging CHWs to other state agencies, community-based organizations and others, through the Office of Community Health Workers.
Department of Public Health CHW Initiatives
- Office of Community Health Workers
- Massachusetts Partnership for Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention — Coordinated chronic disease coalition designed to reduce chronic disease in Massachusetts. The state plan created seven communities of practice to address its primary objectives.
- Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund – A $60 million four-year program established by the Legislature in 2012 through payment reform legislation. Grants were awarded to nine community-based partnerships to help fight chronic illness and improve health outcomes while reducing health care costs, focused in four primary areas: hypertension, smoking, falls prevention among older adults and pediatric asthma. Each partnership includes CHWs in some capacity.
Other Massachusetts Resources and Support
- Community Health Worker Grant Program from the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office - Designed to reduce healthcare disparities and improve the health and wellness of underserved populations through the distribution of settlement funds to community health centers.
- One Care (Dual Eligibles Program) - MassHealth and Medicare program in partnership with health plans to offer coordinated services, including CHW services, to people with disabilities. http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/consumer/insurance/one-care/
- MassHealth 1115 Waiver - Children’s High-risk Asthma Bundled Payment Pilot - CHWs are a vital component of this pilot program:
- Primary Care Payment Reform Initiative (PCPRI) - A MassHealth comprehensive primary care payment system that includes shared savings/risk arrangement with quality incentives in order to improve access to primary care and care coordination, and may include CHWs in service delivery.
- New England Asthma Innovation Collaborative (NEAIC) at Health Resources in Action (HRiA): A multi-state partnership of health care providers, payers, and policy makers from across New England to promote sustainable financing and infrastructure for the delivery of cost-effective home-based care and education to children with poorly controlled asthma by community health workers (CHWs).
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation - Leadershipin promoting and supporting community health workers.
- Massachusetts Public Health Association (MPHA) - Advocacy to support the CHW workforce.
- Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers - State primary care association, with listing of CHW jobs at community health centers.
- Prevention and Access to Care and Treatment (PACT) Project provides training regarding their innovative model of care and technical assistance to other organizations interested in developing a community health worker program