In August of 2010, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health in partnership with the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (MDESE) was awarded $1,062,646 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to support the Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP). This project integrates community and school services to deliver medically accurate, culturally competent, age-appropriate comprehensive sexuality education to young people ages 10-19. PREP providers are required to focus on providing services and education to those populations with the greatest disparities in reproductive health outcomes, including youth who identify as Hispanic, sexual minority, homeless, older teens, or young people in state systems of care.
Through a competitive procurement, MDESE has funded middle schools in Boston, Holyoke. Springfield and New Bedford to implement Making Proud Choices and MDPH has funded seven community-based organizations to provide Making Proud Choices and Teen Health Project which began in May 2012. All PREP programs are integrating three adulthood preparation subjects, Healthy Relationships, Adolescent Development and Financial Literacy.
The goal of the MDPH Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP) is to promote healthy behavior, responsible decision-making and increased opportunities for high risk youth. The health outcome goals of the program are:
- Increased abstinence and delayed onset of sexual activity among pre-adolescent and adolescent males and females;
- Reduced rates of youth engaging in health-related risk behaviors including, but not limited to, risky sexual behaviors; and
- Decreased incidence of teen births, STIs, and HIV infection.
PREP Funded Programs
- Action for Boston Community Development (ABCD)
178 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02111
- Citizens for Citizens
264 Griffen Street
Fall River, MA 02724
- Family Health Center of Worcester
26 Queen Street
Worcester, MA 01610
- Family Services Inc.
430 North Canal Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
- Gandara Mental Health Center, Inc.
147 Norman Street
West Springfield, MA 01089
- Lowell Community Health Center
585 Merrimack Street
Lowell, MA 01854
- River Valley Counseling Center, Inc.
319 Beech Street (Admin office)
Holyoke, MA 01040