School and Community Goals
- provide age-appropriate instruction in passenger safety at all levels;
- develop school policies that reinforce Massachusetts law;
- serve as positive role models;
- provide educational materials to parents;
- encourage students to buckle up on every ride and remind family and friends to buckle-up also;
- work with local law enforcement and community groups to increase compliance with the law;
- promote referrals to Buckle-Up Hotline within community; and
- encourage the use of booster seats for children 5-8 years old.
Provide occupant protection instruction (utilizing curricula, speakers, videos, hands-on activities); incorporate information into other subject areas. Post signs in parking lots, organize health and safety fairs and poster or writing contests. Local schools have sponsored prom-time simulated car crash events, alcohol-free graduation parties, hosted Convincer demonstrations and organized testimony by elementary school students at public hearings on safety belt legislation.
Resources: Local safety officers@ Governor's Highway Safety Bureau, Emergency Nurses C@A.R.E. (Cancel Alcohol Related Emergencies), Regional Occupant Protection Coordinators, Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD), curricula, videos, Massachusetts Child Passenger Safety Law handout, Buckle-Up Hotline handout, stickers.
Special Note: National Child Passenger Safety Awareness Week is in February; the last week of May is Buckle-Up America Week.
For More Information
Injury Prevention and Control Program, DPH
Phone: 617-624-5413 Fax: 617-624-5075
Governor's Highway Safety Bureau's Child Passenger Safety Program
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
American Academy of Pediatrics
This information is provided by the School Health Services within the Department of Public Health.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.