Communicating with family members is essential to make sure everyone is okay. Have a simple plan in place that accounts for limited cell phone service, texting, and e-mails. Make sure everyone in your family has a mutual contact out of the region or state so that person can help keep tabs on you and your loved ones.
Sign up for emergency alerts and call 2-1-1 for information about critical health and human services available in your community.
- Sign up for Emergency Alerts
- check with your local city or town public safety office to see if it uses an alert system and what you might need to do to sign up
- check with your kids’ school(s) to determine if they use an alert system and how you would get notified in the event of an emergency
- find out if your workplace has any sort of emergency alerting system and how they would contact you if an emergency occurs
- identify any other locations where your or your loved ones might spend a lot of time or participate in activities and ask about their alert and warning systems
- Prepare a Family Emergency Communications Plan
- Stay engaged through social media:
- Visit MA 211 for information on essential community services
Think about your family’s health needs, vulnerabilities and capabilities when you make your emergency preparedness plan. Whether you are sheltering-in-place or evacuating to a different location, a plan will help keep you and your family safe.
Family members from Lynn talk about how they develop an emergency plan for weather emergencies, power outages and other emergency events. Also included are general tips for emergency preparedness and details for building an emergency kit.
Every home should have a basic emergency preparedness kit that can be used for any emergency. Store your kit in an area that is dry and easy to get to. Review your kit every six months to identify and replace outdated supplies. While some items should be in everyone’s kit, it is important to adapt the kit for the needs of you and your family.
Download a free emergency kit checklist and customize to your specific needs.
- Preparedness Checklist
- Are You Ready? An In-depth Guide to Citizen Preparedness
- Know Plan Prepare Brochure
Printed copies of the brochure are available in English and Spanish. To order copies, please visit the Massachusetts Health Promotion Clearinghouse.