Application Procedure

The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH)/Food Protection Program (FPP) regulates the production, manufacture and sale of food, pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws and Commonwealth of Massachusetts rules and regulations. The FPP may issue a Certificate of Free Sale/Export Statement indicating that at the last inspection the food processing facility appeared to be in substantial compliance with current good manufacturing practices and relevant US Food and Drug Administration requirements for the specified products.

The FPP has changed its process of issuing Certificates of Health and Free Sale/Export Statements. If you wish to apply for a Certificate, please adhere to the following instructions:

  1. Complete an Application for a Certificate of Health and Free Sale/Export Statement pdf format of certificate-free-sale.pdf
rtf format of                             certificate-free-sale.rtf                . The application is found on the FPP website.
  2. A separate application must be filled out for each food product. (Multiple flavors or varieties may be treated as one “product.”)
  3. Submit the completed application by email, fax or regular mail.
    1. E-mailed applications should be sent to:
    2. Faxed applications should be sent to: 617-524-8062.
    3. Applications sent via regular mail should be addressed to:

           Certificate of Health/Export Statement
           Massachusetts Food Protection Program
           305 South Street, Room 217
           Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
  4. A check for $75.00 payable to Commonwealth of Massachusetts must be sent for each requested certificate. E-mailed and faxed applications will be held until receipt of the application fee. Mailed applications must be accompanied by the application fee.
  5. Certificates will not be granted if (a) the licensing status of the food processor is not acceptable and/or (b) the fee ($75 per requested certificate) is not received by the FPP.
  6. If you require overnight shipment of the certificate(s), you must include a pre-printed and pre-paid FedEx/UPS/other shipping company label and envelope. Shipping supplies are not available at the Food Protection Program.

Questions about the Certificates of Health and Free Sale/Export Statements and about the application process may be addressed by calling 617-983-6712.

This information is provided by the Food Protection Program within the Department of Public Health.