Only expenses for which the family is directly responsible as a result of the child’s medical condition, accident or disability may be considered for reimbursement or payment.
In all cases, CICRF should be considered the payor of last resort after the family makes all reasonable attempts to pursue funding through their health insurance, school system, or relevant state agency. Expenses covered by fundraising cannot be included in the calculation of total eligible expenses.
Expense categories include but are not limited to:
- Acute or specialized pediatric hospital care, both inpatient and outpatient
- Payments to health care providers
- Costs of traveling to visit a child in the hospital, or taking a child to certain medical appointments (Family Support is a daily rate based on the distance traveled)
- Medically related home and vehicle modifications. Please note that Fund policy limits the amounts counted toward eligibility, and reimbursement is on a sliding scale.
- Mental health or addiction services
- Medical equipment or disposable medical supplies
- Lodging, if the family lives 50 miles or more from the treating facility
- Medical transportation
- Home health care
- Out-of-state treatment and travel expenses when care is not available in Massachusetts
The Fund may consider other reasonable expenses related to the treatment or rehabilitation of the child’s illness or medical condition.
For assistance, call 1-800-882-1435 (within Massachusetts), 617-624-6060, or TTY 617-624-5992.
This information is provided by the Division for Children & Youth with Special Health Needs within the Department of Public Health.