If You Worry About Your Child's Behavior or Emotions, Ask for Help

Find out what the problem is and where to get services that will help. Talk to your child's primary care provider (PCP), care coordinator, or teacher to learn more. Your child may be referred to a mental health or behavioral health provider (sometimes known as a counselor or therapist). There are different types of mental health services and they are provided by a variety of people. A mental health provider may be a:
  • Psychiatrist
  • Psychologist
  • Social worker
  • Mental health counselor
  • Nurse practitioner

All of these providers are trained in understanding feelings and behaviors. They know ways to work together with you to support your child (such as counseling and/or medication therapy). Try to find a mental health provider who makes you and your child feel comfortable. (See Health Care Providers by Specialty table and Glossary for more information on these providers.)