Good nutrition and healthy eating helps your child to grow and develop. A child who has a medical condition, developmental delay, or takes certain medications regularly may be at risk for nutritional problems. Discuss your child's dietary needs with the primary care provider (PCP).

Does Your Child

  • Have trouble gaining weight?

  • Take medications, vitamins, and/or food supplements regularly?

  • Have trouble breastfeeding or using a bottle regularly?

  • Have trouble sucking, swallowing, chewing, drinking from a cup, or eating different textures?

  • Have trouble feeding himself or herself?

  • Take longer than 30 minutes to eat?

  • Refuse to eat, or eat too much?

  • Eat non-foods (such as dirt, chalk, or soap)?

  • Have nausea, vomiting, constipation, or diarrhea?

  • Use formula after age 1?

  • Use a feeding tube?

If the answer is YES to any of these questions, or if you have any other concerns, talk with your child's PCP.Your child may be referred to a nutritionist or dietitian.;
A nutritionist can help you and your child with:

  • Feeding and feeding equipment

  • Special formula or diet

  • Meal planning

  • Other nutrition services

Check the benefits handbook from your child's health plan to learn about covered nutritional services. For other resources on nutrition, including help with family resources to buy food, see the State Agencies section in the Family TIES Resource Directory.

Tip: If your baby is having trouble breastfeeding, a lactation consultant can help. Ask your PCP, your child's PCP, or hospital family resource center how to find a lactation consultant.