Sometimes, families need time away from the day-to-day responsibilities of caring for a child with special health needs. Respite means "taking a break." Respite care provides temporary care to a child by anyone that is trained to take care of your child - another family member, friend, or a professional caregiver. Respite can occur in the home or in out-of-home settings for any length of time, depending on the needs of the family and available resources.

Your child may be eligible for state agency funding, called Flexible Family Support or Special Medical Funding, to pay for respite care and some other out-of-pocket expenses. Eligibility may vary from one agency to another.

Ask your child's primary care provider (PCP), care coordinator, or case manager for information on how to get respite care and flexible family support funding. Contact Family TIES at 800-905-8437 or see the State Agencies section of the Family TIES Resource Directory for more information.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.