At times you may not be satisfied with the care your child has received and may want to notify the health plan with your concerns. Contact a Member Services Representative for information on filing a complaint or grievance. If you have a case manager, you may want to share the information with that person as well.

Tip: You may also contact the Office of Patient Protection (OPP) at the Health Policy Commission for general information about managed care, referrals, grievances, and appeals. The OPP can explain your rights, and may be able to help resolve your complaint or grievance. Contact the OPP at 800-436-7757 or 617-624-6001 (TTY).