• Your Child's Legal Rights

    There are four major laws that relate to children with special needs and education. These laws are about the accommodations, the instruction, and the services your child may receive in school.
  • Early Intervention: Services for Your Child from Birth to Age 3

    If your child is under 3 years old, he or she might be eligible for Early Intervention (EI) services. EI is a program for infants and toddlers who currently have, or are at risk of having, a developmental delay.
  • Your Child's Early Intervention Team

    Together with families, the Early Intervention team decides what type of developmental help would be most useful for your child.
  • The Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP)

    An Individualized Family Service Plan is created for every child enrolled in Early Intervention. It includes assessments of the child, descriptions of both family needs and strengths, and also lists all the education, training, therapy and support services the child and family will receive.
  • Preschool Age 3-5

    Preschool-age children with disabilities are eligible to receive a free and appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
  • Services for Your School-Aged Child

    If your child has significant medical needs, the education plan may be just one of many concerns. Here are steps that can help you address health and safety needs in school.
  • The Individualized Education Program (IEP)

    All children who have been found eligible for special education must have an Individualized Education Program (IEP). The IEP is a written plan that describes exactly what special educational services and accommodations your child will receive.
  • Your Child's Education "Team"

    If your child is eligible for special education, you can meet together with a group of people to develop the Individualized Education Program.
  • 504 Plan

    A 504 Plan helps a child with special health care needs to fully participate in school. Usually a 504 Plan is used by a general education student who is not eligible for special education services.
  • The Individualized Health Care Plan (IHCP)

    Every child with special health care needs in school should have an Individualized Health Care Plan (IHCP). An IHCP helps to make sure your child receives the health services he or she needs during the school day.
  • Key People to Help with Your Child's Educational Needs

    There are a number of key people who should be involved in planning for your child's education.
  • Tips on Building a Relationship with Your Child's School or Child Care Center

    Tips on becoming active in your child's education and getting to know the school staff.
  • Education Resources

    List of important educational resources.