Important points to remember about health transition:
- Transition is a process, not an event. Families and providers should share information about the self-management aspects in an on-going way.
- Parents should discuss the process for transition with their youth/young adult & providers as early in the process as possible - before there is a medical crisis.
- Unless a parent has guardianship, they will no longer have access to their child’s records after age 18.
- Youth/young adults must be involved in all decisions affecting their care.
- Pediatric providers and parents should work together to coordinate and support the transition to adult providers.
- Adult providers should be given the training and support needed to take on the potential challenges of a young adult with special health needs.
This information is provided by the Division for Children & Youth with Special Health Needs within the Department of Public Health.