- Anonymous. Strategies for effective management of depression in primary care. Based on a presentation by Michael S. Klinkman MD. Am J Man Care. 1999; 5 (13Suppl):S783-8; discussion S788-93.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Screening for depression during and after pregnancy: Committee Opinion No.453. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2010;115:394-395.
- Apter G, Devouche E, & Gratier M. Perinatal mental health. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2011;199:575-577.
- Austin MP, Priest SR, Sullivan EA. Antenatal psychosocial assessment for reducing perinatal mental health morbidity. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2008.) Issue 4. Art. No.: CD005124.
- Austin MP, Tully L, Parker G. Examining the relationship between antenatal anxiety and postnatal depression. J Affect Disord. 2007 Aug;101(1-3):169-74. Epub 2006 Dec 29.
- Beck CT, Gable RK. Comparative Analysis of the Performance of the Postpartum Depression Screening Scale with Two Other Depression Instruments. Nursing Research. 2001;50(4):242-250.
- Bennett HA, Einarson A, Taddio A, Koren G, Einarson TR. Prevalence of Depression During Pregnancy: Systematic Review. Obstet Gynecol. 2004;103:698-709.
- Bennett IM, Coco A, Coyne JC, Mitchell AJ, Nicholson J, Johnson E, Horst M, Ratcliffe S. Efficiency of a Two-Item Pre-Screen to Reduce the Burden of Depression Screening in Pregnancy and Postpartum: An IMPLICIT Network Study. J Am Board Fam Med. 2008:21:317-325.
- Boyd RC, Le HN, Somberg R. Review of screening instruments for postpartum depression. Arch Women's Ment Health 2005;8: 141-153.
- Boyd RC, Mogul M, Newman D, & Coyne JC. Screening and referral for postpartum depression among low-income women: a qualitative perspective from community health workers. Depression Research & Treatment 2011.
- Breese McCoy SJ. Postpartum Depression: An Essential Overview for the Practitioner. South Med J. 2011 Jan 4.
- Carroll JC, Reid AJ, Biringer, A, Midmer D, Glazier RH, Wilson, L, Permaul JA, Pugh P, Chalmers B, Seddon F, Stewart DE. Effectiveness of the antenatal psychosocial health assessment (ALPHA) form in detecting psychosocial concerns: a randomized control trial. CMAJ. 2009;173(3):253-259.
- Chaudron LH, Szilagyi PG, Campbell AT, Mounts KO, McInerny, TK. Legal and Ethical Considerations: Risks and Benefits of Postpartum Depression Screening at Well-Child Visits. Pediatrics. 2007;119:1; 123-128.
- Chaudron LH, Szilagyi PG., Tang W, Anson E, Talbot NL, Wadkins HIM, Tu X, Wisner KL. Accuracy of depression screening tools for identifying postpartum depression among urban mothers. Pediatrics. 2010;125:3; 609-617.
- Cutler, CB, Legano LA, Dreyer BP, Fierman AH, Berkule SB, Lusskin, SI, Tomopoulos S, Roth, M, Mendelsohn AL. Screening for maternal depression in a low education population using a two item questionnaire. Archives of Women’s Mental Health. 2007;10:277-283.
- Dearing E, Taylor BA, McCartney K. Implications of family income dynamics for women’s depressive symptoms during the first 3 years after childbirth. Am J Pub Health. 2004;94:8, 1372-1377.
- Delatte R., Cao H, Meltzer-Brody S, Menard MK. Universal screening for postpartum depression: an inquiry into provider attitudes and practices. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009 May;200(5):e63-4. Epub 2009 Mar 14.
- Dennis CL, Chung-Lee L. Postpartum depression help-seeking barriers and maternal treatment preferences: a qualitative systematic review. Birth. 2006;33(4):323-31.
- Dennis CL, Hodnett E. Psychosocial and psychological interventions for treating postpartum depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Oct 17;(4):CD006116. Review.
- Dietz P, Williams S, Callaghan W, Bachman D, Whitlock E, Hornbrook M. Clinically identified maternal depression before, during, and after pregnancies ending in live births. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164 (10), 1515 – 1520.
- Earls MF & the Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health. Clinical report incorporating recognition and management of perinatal and postpartum depression into pediatric practice. Pediatrics. 2010;126:5; 1032-1039.
- Feinberg, E, Smith, MV, Morales, MJ, Claussen, AH, Smith, DC, Perou, R. Improving Women’s Health during Internatal Periods: Developing an Evidence-Based Approach to Addressing Maternal Depression in Pediatric Settings. J Women’s Health. 2006;15:6; 692-703.
- Flynn HA, Henshaw E, O’Mahen H, Forman J. Patient perspectives on improving the depression referral processes in obstetrics setting: a qualitative study. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2010; 32(1):9-16.
- Gaynes BN, Gavin N, Meltzer-Brody S, Lohr KN, Swinson T, Gartlehner G, Brody S, Miller WC. Perinatal depression: prevalence, screening accuracy, and screening outcomes. Summary, Evidence Report/Technology Assessment. 2005;No. 119. AHRQ Publication No. 05-E006-1. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Gibson J, McKenzie-McHarg K, Shakespeare J, Price J, Gray R. A systematic review of studies validating the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale in antepartum and postpartum women. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2011;119:350-364.
- Gjerdingen D, Crow S, McGovern P, Miner M, Center B. Postpartum Depression Screening at Well-Child Visits: Validity of a 2-Question Screen and the PHQ-9. Ann Fam Med. 2009;7:63-70.
- Gjerdingen DK, Yawn, BP. Postpartum depression screening: importance, methods, barriers, and recommendations for practice. J Am Board Fam Med. 2007;20:3;280-288.
- Goodman J. Women’s attitudes, preferences, and perceived barriers to treatment for prenatal depression. Birth. 2009; 36(1):60-9.
- Grote NK, Bridge JA, Gavin AR, Melville JL, Iyengar S, Katon WJ. A Meta-analysis of Depression During Pregnancy and the Risk of Preterm Birth, Low Birth Weight, and Intrauterine Growth Restriction. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010;67(10):1012-1024.
- Heneghan AM, Morton S, DeLeone NL. Pediatricians’ attitudes about discussing maternal depression during a paediatric primary care visit. Child: care, health and development. 2006;33(3):333-339.
Hewitt C, Gilbody S, Brealey S, Paulden M, Palmer S, Mann R, Green J, Morrell J, Barkham M, Light K, Richards D. Methods to identify postnatal depression in primary care: an integrated evidence synthesis and value of information analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2009 Jul;13(36):1-145, 147-230.
- Hewitt, C, Gilbody SM. Is it clinically and cost effective to screen for postnatal depression: a systematic review of controlled clinical trials and economic evidence. BJOG 2009; 116:1019-1027.
- Indiana Perinatal Network. Postpartum depression consensus statement: Executive Summary. October 2002.
- Kabir K, Sheeder J, Kelly LS. Identifying post partum depression: are 3 questions as good as 10? Pediatrics. 2008;122;696-702.
- Katon WJ, Ludman EJ. Improving services for women with depression in primary care settings. Psychol Women Quarterly. 2003;27:114-120.
- Kozhimannil KB, Adams AS, Soumerai SB, Busch AB, Huskamp HA. New Jersey’s Efforts to Improve Postpartum Depression Care Did Not Change Treatment Patterns For Women On Medicaid. Health Affairs. 2011;30(2):293-301.
- Kuehn BM. Report promotes depression screening for mothers during pediatric visits. JAMA. 2011 Jan 5;305(1):26-7.
- Leigh, B, Milgrom J. Risk factors for antenatal depression, postnatal depression and parenting stress. BMC Psychiatry. 2008;8:24.
- Levant B. N-3 (omega-3) Fatty acids in postpartum depression: implications for prevention and treatment. Depress Res Treat. 2011;2011:467349. Epub 2010 Oct 27.
- Lundy B, Field T, Cuadra A. Mothers with depressive symptoms touching newborns. Early Development and Parenting. 1996;5, 124 – 130.
- MacArthur C, Winter HR, Bick DE, Lilford RJ, Lancashire RJ, Knowles H, Braunholtz DA, Henderson C, Belfield C, Gee H. Redesigning postnatal care: a randomized controlled trial of protocol-based midwifery-led care focused on individual women's physical and psychological health needs. Health Technol Assess. 2003;7(37):1-98. Review.
- McLearn KT, Minkovitz CS, Strobino, DM, Marks E, Hou, W. Maternal depressive symptoms at 2 to 4 months post partum and early parenting practices. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 2006;160:3, 279-284.
- Meltzer-Brody S, Stuebe A, Dole N, Savitz D, Rubinow D, Thorp J. Elevated Corticotropin Releasing Hormone (CRH) during Pregnancy and Risk of Postpartum Depression (PPD). J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Jan;96(1):E40-7. Epub 2010 Oct 13.
- Mishina H, Takayama J. Screening for maternal depression in primary care pediatrics. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2009:;21:789-793.
- Miller L, Shade M, Vasireddy V. Beyond screening: assessment of perinatal depression in a perinatal care setting. Archives of Women’s Mental Health. 2008;12:329-334.
- Miller LJ, Gupta R, Scremin AM. The evidence for perinatal depression screening and treatment. In Handler A, Kennelly J, Peacock N, eds: Reducing Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Reproductive and Perinatal Outcomes: The Evidence from Population-Based Interventions. Springer: New York, 2011, pp. 301-327.
- Miranda J, Chung JY, Green BL, Krupnick J, Siddique J, Revicki DA, et al. Treating depression in predominantly low-income young minority women: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2003;290(1):57-65
- Mohammad KI, Gamble J, Creedy DK. Prevalence and factors associated with the development of antenatal and postnatal depression among Jordanian women. Midwifery. 2010 Dec 2. Epub.
- Morrell CJ, Slade P, Warner R, Paley G, Dixon S, Walters SJ, Brugha T, Barkham M, Parry GJ, Nicholl J. Clinical effectiveness of health visitor training in psychologically informed approaches for depression in postnatal women: pragmatic cluster randomized trial in primary care. BMJ. 2009 Jan 15.
- Morrell CJ, Warner R, Slade P, Dixon S, Walters S, Paley G, Brugha T. Psychological interventions for postnatal depression: cluster randomized trial and economic evaluation. The PoNDER trial. Health Technol Assess. 2009 Jun;13(30):iii-iv, xi-xiii, 1-153.
- National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation. Identifying and treating maternal depression: strategies and considerations for health plans. NHICM Issue Brief, June 2010.
- Noonan K, Carroll A, Reichman NE, Corman H. Mental Illness as a Risk Factor for Uninsurance Among Mothers of Infants. Matern Child Health J. 2010;14:36-46.
- Nylen K, Moran T, Franklin C, O’Hara M. Maternal depression: A review of relevant treatment approaches for mothers and infants. Infant Mental Health J. 2006;27 (4), 327 – 343.
- Olson AL, Dietrich AJ, Prazar G, Hurley J. Brief maternal depression screening at well-child visits. Pediatrics. 2006;118;207-216.
- Olson AL, Kemper KJ, Kelleher KJ, Hammond CS, Zuckerman BS, Dietrich AJ. Primary care pediatricians’ roles and perceived responsibilities in the identification and management of maternal depression. Pediatrics. 2002;110:1169-76.
- Paulden M., Palmer S, Hewitt C, Gilbody S. Screening for postnatal depression in primary care: cost effectiveness analysis. BMJ. 2009;2210;340:b5203.
- Pyne JM, Rost KM, Farahati F, Tripathi SP, Smith J, Williams DW, Fortney J, Coyne JC. One size fits some: the impact of patient treatment attitudes on the cost-effectiveness of a depression primary-care intervention. Psychol Med. 2005;35(6):839-854.
- Reuland DS, Cherrington A, Watkins GS, Bradford DW, Blanco RA, Gaynes BN. Diagnostic Accuracy of Spanish Language Depression-Screening Instruments. Ann Fam Med. 2009;7:455-462.
- Rowan C, Bick D, Bastos MH. Postnatal debriefing interventions to prevent maternal mental health problems after birth: exploring the gap between the evidence and UK policy and practice. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2007;4(2):97-105.
- Sit, Dorothy et al. An Emerging Best Practice Model for Perinatal Depression Care. Best Practices. Psychiatric Services. 2009 November;60:11.
- Surkan PJ, Gottlieb BR, McCormick MC, Hunt A, Peterson KE. Impact of a Health Promotion Intervention on Maternal Depressive Symptoms at 15 months Postpartum. Matern Child Health J. Epub 2010 Dec 14.
- Yawn BP. Pace W, Wollan PC, Bertram S, Kurland M, Graham D, Dietrich A. Concordance of Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) and Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) to Assess Increased Risk of Depression among Postpartum Women. J AM Board Fam Med. 2009;22:483-491.
- Yelland J, Sutherland G, Brown SJ. Postpartum anxiety, depression and social health: findings from a population-based survey of Australian women. BMC Public Health. 2010 Dec 20;10(1):771.
This information is provided by the Pregnancy, Infancy and Early Childhood Division within the Department of Public Health.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.