The mission of the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of the Commonwealth through the fair and consistent application of the statutes and regulations governing nursing practice and nursing education.
Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 13, sections 13, 14, 14A, 15 and 15D and Chapter 112, sections 74 through 81C authorize the Board of Registration in Nursing to regulate nursing practice and education. Pursuant to these laws, the Board:
- makes, adopts, amends, repeals, and enforces regulations it deems necessary for the protection of the public health, safety and welfare
- issues advisory rulings and opinions which guide nursing practice and education
- approves and monitors nursing education programs which lead to initial licensure
- issues nursing licenses to qualified individuals
- authorizes qualified nurses to practice in advanced roles
- verifies the licensure status of nurses
- collects fees established pursuant to the provisions of GL c. 7, ss. 3B
- investigates and takes action on complaints concerning the performance and conduct of licensed nurses
- audits the continued competency of nurses
- administers the Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Program
- prepares and publishes materials it deems integral to the delivery of safe, effective nursing care, including an annual notification to all licensees of changes in laws and regulations regarding nursing education, licensure and practice
- participates as an active member in the National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- provides consultation and conducts conferences, forums, studies and research on nursing practice, nursing education and related matters
This information is provided by the Division of Health Professions Licensure within the Department of Public Health.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.