Medicare/Medicaid certification is not a requirement for conducting a home health service. Medicare/Medicaid participation is an option for your agency.
- You do not have to apply to the Department to open a home health business. Massachusetts laws for the Department of Public Health do not include licensure of home health agencies.
- The Massachusetts Department of Labor Standards licenses certain home health agencies under its regulations for employment agencies. This licensure is a state requirement for conducting a home health business. For more information, call 617.626.6970.
- A home health agency is required to report employee misconduct toward persons receiving services to the Department. This regulation applies to any home care agencies whether is it Medicare certified on not.
Medicare HHA Program Regulations
- The agency must provide skilled nursing and at least one other qualifying service (i.e. physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech/language pathology, medical social services, home health aides).
- Agency employees must provide at least 1 qualifying service. All other services may be provided by contract with a third party.
This information is provided by the Division of Health Care Facility Licensure and Certification within the Department of Public Health.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.