Registered Marijuana Dispensary Application Process Overview
On June 29, 2015, the Department of Public Health (the “Department”) began accepting applications from non-profit organizations that wish to apply for a Certificate of Registration to operate a Registered Marijuana Dispensary (“RMD”) in Massachusetts.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed in the order received.
- The Department will contact the applicant if clarifications/updates to the submitted application materials are needed.
- Department staff is available to provide technical support to applicants.
- Applications are not scored, but instead reviewed to determine if they comply with Chapter 369 of the Acts of 2012, An Act for the Humanitarian Medical Use of Marijuana (the “Act”), and DPH regulations at 105 CMR 725.000 (“Regulations”).
- Applicants must provide a letter of support or non-opposition from the municipality where they intend to locate their RMD.
- The Department has issued guidance regarding the background check process and the determination of suitability of individuals and companies.
- Background checks will be conducted by an outside vendor during the application process in compliance with “Guidance for Registered Marijuana Dispensaries Regarding Background Checks.”
- If an individual associated with a proposed RMD is deemed “unsuitable,” the RMD may elect to remove that individual from the application and submit another individual for the proposed role during the application process.
- The Department has issued guidance regarding RMD compliance with the non-profit requirements of the Act and Regulations.
- All issues must be resolved before a proposed RMD receives a Provisional Certificate of Registration and starts the Inspection Phase.
- The Application Instructions and Forms webpage contains further details about the application process, as well as all application forms.
- For additional information regarding the RMD application process, please contact the Medical Use of Marijuana Program at 617-660-5370 or RMDapplication@State.MA.US.