The Registry collects, processes, corrects and issues copies of birth, death and marriage records that occur in Massachusetts. Information about divorces is also collected and maintained at the Registry. There are several functions that the Registry performs. Select your area of interest:
- V.I.P. Project Updates
- Obtaining Certified Copies of Vital Records
- Amendments and Corrections to Vital Records
- Genealogical Research
- Data and Publications
- Preparing Vital Records (forms & fact sheets)
- EBC Newsletter
Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics
150 Mount Vernon St., 1 st Fl.
Dorchester, MA 02125-3105
Main Telephone: (617) 740-2600
We are located next to the Bayside Expo Center, in the Bayside Office Center. Directions to the Offices.
Friday, August 2, the Registry will close at 3:00 PM for building work. It will reopen Monday, August 5th at 10:00 AM. We apologize for any convenience.
Effective June 3, 2013, the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics is implementing a new increased fee schedule and will also begin offering a new, next day service for vital record certified copy requests.
- New fee schedule effective June 3, 2013
- Next day service
Due to feed back from the public, the Registry is now offering a next day service, which prioritizes your order for next business day delivery for vital record certified copies.
- Memo to Clerks Regarding Changes to Massachusetts Impediments to Marriage
- Chapter 216 of the Acts of 2008: An Act Relative to Certain Marriage Laws (PDF)
- Memo to Clerks Regarding Chapter 216 of the Acts of 2008 (revised) (PDF)
- Massachusetts Legal Impediments to Marriage (PDF)
- Chapter 109 of the Acts of 2007: An Act Further Regulating Access to Birth Certificates
- Memo Effective January 28, 2005 medical certificates are no longer required for marriage licenses (PDF)
To answer questions or obtain further information, please contact:
For certified copies, use of public indices, examining records, record restrictions, and genealogical research facilities, call: (617) 740-2600 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Preparing Vital records:
For legal issues on birth/marriage/death records, call: (617) 740-2600 or email: email@example.com
For parent or hospital issues on birth records, call: (617) 740-2600 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Changing a Vital record:
To amend or correct a vital record call: (617) 740-2603 or email: email@example.com
For vital records statistical data call: (617) 740-2670 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Registry of Vital Records and Statistics is part of the Bureau of Health Information Research Statistics and Evaluation .
This information is provided by the Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics within the Department of Public Health.