- Shared immunization records. Records will be available across multiple sites and locations to help identify under-immunized children and pockets of unmet need;
- Better decision making. Practices, schools, and electronic health record (EHR) systems will be able to increase on-time delivery and reduce inappropriate immunization by using advanced immunization forecasting decision support;
- Reduced waste and increased efficiency. Vaccine administration will be monitored and assessed on an ongoing basis to optimize distribution and use;
- Enhanced disease control. The MIIS will be integrated with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health infectious disease monitoring systems to allow the linkage of disease surveillance with the immunizations designed to prevent them;
- Improved disaster preparedness by providing an essential infrastructure for responding to natural disasters, bioterrorism events, influenza pandemics and other emergencies.
The implementation team is actively working on an HL7 interface to exchange data with EHRs. The team is also launching a pilot for selected provider practices without electronic health records that will manually input immunization information into the MIIS starting in December of 2010. The DPH Immunization Program plans to roll out the MIIS statewide in phases beginning in 2011. Statewide roll-out will begin with those providers that are most interested and prepared to track immunizations with the MIIS in their practice.
MIIS and Birth Hospitals
Beginning January 1, 2012, information about immunizations given at birth will automatically be sent to the MIIS from the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics (RVRS). Providers and institutions have a legal responsibility to inform parents/guardians about the MIIS. Please review the official notification sent to Birth Hospitals about their duty to inform expecting parents about the MIIS.
MIIS Clinical Integration Tools
- Integrating the MIIS Into Your Clinical Practice file size 3MB
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients
- Chinese - 向家长和病人提供的情况说明
- Haitian Creole - Fèy Enfòmasyon pou Paran ak Pasyan yo
- Portuguese - Boletim Informativo para Pais e Pacientes
- Russian - Факты для сведения родителей и пациентов
- Spanish - Hoja de Datos Para Padres y Pacientes
- Vietnamese - Bản Thông Tin cho Cha Mẹ và Bệnh Nhân file size 1MB
- MIIS Objection (or Withdrawal of Objection) Form
- MIIS Poster
- MIIS Poster in English and Spanish
- Sample MIIS Language for Patient Encounters
- Template for Provider Letter or E-mail to Patients
MIIS Quick Reference Guides
- Accessing the MIIS and the MIIS Home Page
- Data Sharing
- Search, Create and View Immunization Records
- Immunization Forecast Module (IFM)
- Viewing and Printing Client Forms
- Viewing and Printing Reports
Electronic Data Exchange
The DPH IT team is hosting a weekly webinar to address any technical questions providers or vendors may have about the content or structure of HL7 message, web service interface between EHR systems and MIIS, and any other technical issues. The webinar is open to any participant and does not require registration. For details please contact MIIS Helpdesk.
- Meaningful Use and Public Health Objectives
- MIIS HL7 Transfer Specifications file size 1MB file size 1MB
- MIIS Flat File Transfer Specifications
- Information on Meaningful Use and Medicaid/Medicare Incentives
- Regional Extension Center (REC) for Massachusetts
- CDC HL7 Implementation Guide
For more information please contact the MIIS Help Desk:
This information is provided by within the Department of Public Health.