Bulk Purchasing of Naloxone for Municipalities

Municipalities and state entities are able to purchase naloxone through the State Office of Pharmacy Services at the cost negotiated between the Commonwealth and a pharmaceutical wholesaler.

In order to be eligible for purchase of Naloxone through the State Office of Pharmacy Services (SOPS) a state agency or municipality will need to have an active Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration (MCSR). pdf format of Naloxone
doc format of                             Naloxone

The following guidance documents have been developed in consultation with the Department of Public Health (DPH), the Drug Control Program (DCP) and the State Office of Pharmacy Services (SOPS):

Technical Assistance for First Responders

All police and fire departments in need of technical assistance on naloxone program implementation are encouraged to visit: First Responder Naloxone Technical Assistance Page

The Bureau of Substance Abuse Services has awarded grants for eligible Police and Fire Departments to carry and administer naloxone. Eligibility is determined based on numbers of fatal overdoses per community. Eligible departments are contacted by DPH directly.

For any additional inquiries related to first responder naloxone programs, bulk purchasing of naloxone, first responder overdose prevention activities, and requests for guidance on securing medical oversight of naloxone programs, please contact Brittni Reilly by phone (617) 624-5362 or email brittni.reilly@state.ma.us


This information is provided by the Bureau of Substance Abuse Services at the Department of Public Health.