The Massachusetts Department of Youth Services is a multi-faceted agency that serves youth committed as juvenile delinquents or youthful offenders.
The Department employs a "continuum" model of services and supervision. All DYS programs address the educational, psychological and health needs of each youth in its custody.
DYS operates 56 residential facilities, ranging from staff-secure programs to hardware-secure programs and 26 community programs to service youth who reside in the community with a parent, guardian, foster parent or in a transitional living program.
DYS divides the state geographically into five regions. Each region has its own continuum of services and supervision. The goal is to serve youth as close to their home communities and families as possible.
To learn more about our program and services provided by the Department of Youth Services, please visit Programs and Services of the Department of Youth Services (DYS)
As the juvenile justice agency for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Department of Youth Services promotes positive change in the youth in our care and custody. Our mission is to make communities safer by improving the life outcomes for youth in our care. We achieve our mission through investing in highly qualified staff and a service continuum that engages youth, families and communities in strategies that support positive youth development.
Every young person served by the Department of Youth Services (DYS) will become a valued, productive member of their community and lead a fulfilling life.
- We are unwavering and persistent in the pursuit of the positive development of youth in our care.
- We promote safer communities by providing prevention, intervention and rehabilitation services.
- We actively engage and support youth, families and communities as our partners.
- We actively support a safe and healthy environment for our diversified and highly skilled workforce.
- We work collaboratively with our public and private partners.
- We adhere to the highest ethical and professional standards in all our work.
- We respect and embrace diversity.
- Ensure the “right youth, is in the right place, for the right reasons” through juvenile justice reform strategies that engage public, private, community and family partners.
- Improve youth success through a continuum of services based on the science of adolescent development and proven and promising practices in juvenile justice.
- Youth sustain the gains they made while in DYS custody through improved discharge planning and continuing community supportive partnerships.
- Develop and focus DYS’ human, physical and organizational capacity necessary to execute the various strategies to efficiently and effectively achieve the agency’s operational goals and, ultimately, its stated mission.
This information is provided by the Department of Youth Services.