The DYS programs align resources with the key strategic goals of the agency. All investments and efforts within the Department are guided by the following principles:
- The right youth is in the right place for the right reason.
- Youth success is improved through a continuum of services grounded in the most current science and evidenced based and promising practices.
- After discharge from DYS, youth sustain the gains they made while in DYS custody.
- Strengthen the operational capacity and physical infrastructure needed to support staff in their work.
DYS has more than 60 residential programs and around 20 district offices that are strategically located to provide the supervision and support to the DYS committed population that has been released to their home communities.
The DYS residential programs provides a service continuum consisting of hardware secure programs with locked doors and staff secure programs with unlocked doors. Bed placement is determined based by the youth's status on the DYS continuum, which includes detention, commitment, revocation, and risk assessment. There are separate facilities for girls and boys. Each residential program has a capacity of 6 to 20 and provides services to meet the educational, psychological and health needs of each youth.
DYS Community Programs provide youth with the most successful transition from residential services so that they sustain gains made in treatment. These programs also help foster positive, pro-social engagement in their communities, work-places and schools beyond their commitment to DYS.
- The Client Services unit oversees the delivery of a host of clinical and support services.
- Upon commitment to DYS (within the first 30 to 45 days), youth under the care of DYS receive a comprehensive assessment...
- The Department of Youth Services (DYS) provides health services to all ot its clients who are in out-of-home placements.
- The Victim Services Unit provides information, support and notification to victims of juvenile crime whose offenders are in the custody of the Department of Youth Services. This program enables the Department to fulfill the statutory mandates of M.G.L. c 258B s. 3 (t) and contributes to the agency's overall mission of public safety and establishing partnerships with communities.
- The District and Satellite Offices are located....
- Substance abuse prevention and intervention services offered by the Department of Youth Services to their clients.
- For youth who are under its care, the Education, Job Training and Employment Services Unit at the Department of Youth Services (DYS) provides a comprehensive and integrated range of services based on the needs, experiences and competencies of youth under its care...