To be eligible for services from MCB, you:
- Must be a Massachusetts resident.
- Must be Legally Blind.
Definition of “Legally Blind”
- Vision with correction of 20/200 or less in the better eye; or
- Peripheral field of ten degrees (10º) or less, regardless of visual acuity.
*Legal Blindness does not mean total blind.
The Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB) oversees the registration process for the reporting of legal blindness. Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 6, Section 136 requires that all eye care providers report within 30 days all cases of legal blindness to the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB).
For Consumers & Family Members
- If you are experiencing visual difficulties, contact your primary care physician or an eye care provider.
- Assuming that you met both of MCB’s criteria for services (Legal Blindness definition & Residence in MA); your eye care provider will submit the result of the exam to the MCB registration department.
- The report will be reviewed and eligibility will be determined.
- A Letter of determination of eligibility will be sent to patient and eye care provider.
- Once patient is registered with MCB, a member of the MCB staff will contact the registrant within seven (7) days for a complete explanation of services offered by MCB.
For Eye Care Providers
- Submit patient’s most recent eye exam results to MCB - Registration
- Reports may be submitted via:
- The report will be reviewed and visual status will be determined.
- Letter of determination will be sent to patient and eye care provider.
- Once patient is registered with MCB a member of the MCB staff with contact the registrant within seven (7) days for a complete explanation of services offered by MCB.
**All records and information are confidential and protected by law.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.