The Massachusetts Commission for the Blind was established July 13, 1906. It was originally comprised of 3 men and 2 women, including Ms. Helen Keller. This group functioned as a board of directors and was charged with establishing a state agency to provide services to blind persons. That original agency was organized primarily around two residential workshops for the blind, one for men, the other for women. In 1919 the then Commission was incorporated into the State Department of Education and renamed the Division of the Blind. In 1966 the agency was reestablished as the separate commission that it remains today. Currently MCB is one of fifteen agencies in the Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS).
This information is provided by the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind