Friendly URL for this page: www.mass.gov/hhs/internships
Opportunities for Spring, Summer and Fall Internships
Bureau of Transitional Planning Intern — Executive Office of Health and Human Services
The Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS) is the largest Commonwealth secretariat, touching the lives of all Massachusetts residents. EOHHS is the principal office charged with implementing the Commonwealth’s laws regarding the delivery of health care and human services to Massachusetts residents. The secretariat oversees and coordinates the work of sixteen agencies ranging from public health, disability supports and services to veterans’ services
and transitional assistance. The Bureau of Transitional Planning oversees the execution of Chapter 688 of the Acts of 1983, which stipulates that students receiving special education who will require continued disability related services upon exiting school shall be entitled to Transitional Planning.
The Bureau of Transitional Planning Intern will report to the Director of Interagency Planning and Placement. Responsibilities will include:
- Process student referrals to the BTP for transitional planning, including record review of student information to determine most appropriate transition agency, e.g., DDS, DMH, MRC,
- Follow up calls to schools for clarification as necessary
- Log information into spreadsheet, print & send dispensation letters to families and schools.
- Generate reports using Excel
- Other tasks as needed
- Time commitment is approx 4-6 hours per week
- Interest in how people with various disability support needs prepare for independent adult living
- Working knowledge of Excel and Word
- Experience with psychological testing results preferred but not necessary
Career Exposure and Learning Opportunities
- Mentoring by experienced professional staff
- Experience in peer interaction in a professional environment
- Exposure to variety of school systems and special education programs
- Exposure to multiple facets of adult disability services system
- Opportunities to influence thoughtful future planning for transition age youth
Please note: EOHHS internships are unpaid.
Please send letter of interest to:
Director of Interagency Planning & Placement
Executive Office of Health and Human Services
Mail: EOHHS, c/o Cynthia Miller
One Ashburton Place, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
This information is provided by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services.