Department of Mental Health Regulations Disclaimer
The Department of Mental Health maintains this content to provide greater public access to the regulations. While every effort is made to ensure that the regulations included on this site are accurate and up-to-date, they are unofficial and for informational purposes only. It is possible that discrepancies may exist between the regulations contained in this site, and the official regulations on file at the Code of Massachusetts Regulations and the Massachusetts Register maintained by the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth. In the event of any such discrepancy, including the differences pertaining to effective dates, the regulations on file with the Secretary of State are controlling. The official regulations may be obtained at the State Bookstore, Room 116, Boston , MA 02133 by calling (617) 727-2831.
The Word versions are formatted for legal sized paper. To print them on letter sized paper, adjust the "scaling" in the print dialogue screen to letter size, or print the PDF versions.
- 104 CMR: Table of Contents (PDF)
- 104 CMR 25.00: Authority, Mission, and Definitions (PDF)
- 104 CMR 26.00: Organizational Structure and Citizen Participation (PDF)
- 104 CMR 27.00: Licensing and Operational Standards for Mental Health Facililties (PDF)
- 104 CMR 28.00: Licensing and Operational Standards for Community Programs (PDF)
- 104 CMR 29.00: Application for DMH Services, Referral, Service Planning and Appeals (PDF)
- 104 CMR 30.00: Fiscal Administration (PDF)
- 104 CMR 31.00: Research Authorization and Monitoring (PDF)
- 104 CMR 32.00: Investigation and Reporting Responsibilities (PDF)
- 104 CMR 33.00: Designation and Appointment of Qualified Mental Health Professionals
- 104 CMR 34.00: Criminal Offender Record Checks - REPEALED See 101 CMR 15.00
DMH Licensing Division
Inpatient and Intensive Residential Treatment Programs
The Licensing Division of the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health licenses and monitors all acute private and general hospitals with inpatient psychiatric units in the Commonwealth of MA. The Division also licenses and monitors the Intensive Residential Treatment Programs (IRTPs) for adolescents throughout the state.
Community Licensing Division
A program license is required for any program not operated or contracted for by the Department which operates a residential site and is organized primarily to provide treatment, rehabilitation, support and supervision for mentally ill persons.
This information is provided by the Department of Mental Health