Transgender Suicide Prevention Initiative Launch Event
Join the Transgender Suicide Prevention Working Group, and DPH Commissioner John Auerbach, as we raise visibility to the issue of transgender suicide and launch our new brochures. These brochures are the first in the country produced to address this important topic and we are proud to share them with you. Copies will be available for distribution. We look forward to seeing you there!
Date and Location
Tuesday, November 3 rd, 2009
9:30 am - 11:30 am
Massachusetts Department of Public Health,
250 Washington Street in Boston, Public Health Council Room on the 2 nd Floor
The purpose of the event is to:
- Educate providers, stakeholders and the transgender community about the issue of suicide in the transgender community;
- Provide networking space for the transgender community and providers/stakeholders;
- Encourage providers/stakeholders to outreach to the transgender community and/or expand current services to be more welcoming of the transgender community;
- Empower the transgender community to access resources and support.
- MDPH Commissioner John Auerbach, welcome
- Alison Brill, Community Suicide Prevention Coordinator (DPH), opening remarks
- Ron White, (Samaritans, Inc.), overview of the Transgender Suicide Prevention Working Group
- Gunner Scott (Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition) and Ruben Hopwood (Fenway Health), overview of transgender suicide facts and statistics
- Thomas Lewis (MTPC), presentation of new and ground-breaking materials
This information is provided by the Injury Prevention and Control Program within the Department of Public Health.