The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights and the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance have agreed to resolve complaint #01-98-3055 regarding recipients of Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC) with learning disabilities. The effective date of this agreement is December 28, 2006 and will be in force for four years.
The agreement's major terms include the following:
- Free screening for learning disabilities for TAFDC applicants and recipients;
- If the screening indicates a potential learning disability and the recipient wishes to participate in the Employment Services Program, free formal assessments for learning disabilities will be offered. These assessments will include diagnoses and possible accommodations;
- Relief from work program sanctions if noncompliance is caused by a learning disability;
- ADA and learning disability training for all Department local office workers; and
- Department monitoring of, and assistance to, its services providers in serving individuals with learning disabilities.
The full text of the agreement can be found by clicking here.
This information is provided by the Department of Transitional Assistance.