How did you get into this field?
- I served in the US Marine Corps Reserves and was put on active duty and deployed to Operation Desert Storm for the ground war into Kuwait. After being discharged, I realized how much I missed the camaraderie and friendship of my fellow Marines. I subsequently began to get involved with the community by joining veteran organizations and volunteering for veterans-related causes, especially in areas where I could contribute using my professional skills from the world of communications and public policy. After 9-11, the mission of helping my fellow veterans and their families became an even higher priority in my life, especially with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Who would you consider to be your mentor and why?
- I have had many mentors in my life, but my father, Martin Nee, was the person that had the most impact on me. As the son of Irish immigrants and a child of the Great Depression, he taught me first and foremost that a person's character or integrity should be not be measured by their wealth or position in life, but rather how they treat others and how much they contribute to improving our society for all its members. A WWII veteran of the US Army, he also instilled in me a strong love for America and the ideals on which we were founded.
What quote do you live by?
- Semper Fidelis.
What has been the most memorable moment of your career?
- I have realized many professional and personal accomplishments over the span of my life so far, but none comes close to the feeling I had standing on the parade deck at Parris Island after 13 weeks of boot camp and being granted the privilege to call myself a United State Marine.
Can you share an interesting fact about yourself that your colleagues wouldn't necessarily know?
- I enjoy backcountry camping and hiking, especially in the winter!
Is there anything you'd like people to know about your agency?
- DVS is recognized nationally as one of the most professional and proactive Veterans' Services departments in the US. We provide a more vigorous and expansive benefit structure in the Commonwealth than any other State. Behind this structure is the DVS Team, a phenomenal group of professionals who are intensely dedicated to this mission. It is an honor to work with them every day in serving those that have served this Nation and their families.