Physicians and qualified personnel, including nurse practitioners, registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, physician assistants, and medical assistants, seeking to apply fluoride varnish to MassHealth children under the age of 21 are required to complete a MassHealth-approved training program.
Physicians and qualified personnel have the option of completing:
- a MassHealth-approved self-administered Web-based training; or
- the Department of Public Health, Office of Oral Health's training program targeted toward community health centers.
Physicians and qualified personnel must maintain proof of completion of the training (CME credit documentation or certificate - see below) and provide such documentation to MassHealth upon request.
MassHealth Training Options
MassHealth has approved the following training programs for physicians and qualified personnel to apply fluoride varnish to eligible MassHealth members:
1. Web-based Training
a. The Smiles for Life, a National Oral Health Program (Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Group on Oral Health) (Two CME credits are available through the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).)
This is a Web-based training program that includes a PowerPoint slide presentation and a video about fluoride varnish. No official application is necessary. Physicians and qualified personnel are expected to self-report only.
- Video Presentation: Applying Fluoride Varnish (WMV) 48.9MB
Please click on the following Proof of Completion form to download a copy of the form. You must sign the form following completion of the training and maintain the completed form in your records.
b. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Oral Health Risk Assessment Training for Pediatricians and Other Child Health Professionals (one CME credit available)
This training includes an online presentation and requires the completion of a post-presentation test to receive AAP CME credit (one CME credit available).
2. Department of Public Health - Office of Oral Health Training (certificate available)
The Department of Public Health, Office of Oral Health offers the BLOCK Oral Disease Training, a MassHealth-approved training targeted toward community health centers and larger practices in settings such as hospitals. This is a training offered online or in the office.
All participants of this training receive a certificate and BLOCK Oral Disease Toolkit. To schedule an in-office training, contact the Office of Oral Health directly at Oral.Health@state.ma.us or 617-624-5943.
Implementing Fluoride Varnish in Your Office
Once on-line training is completed, physicians and qualified personnel may schedule an in-office visit with the MassHealth outreach coordinator to reinforce how to implement the use of fluoride varnish in your office and how to bill for the service. To schedule an in-office visit, contact the outreach coordinator directly at Megan.Mackin@Dentaquest.com or 617-886-1728.
Additional Information and Resources for Using Fluoride Varnish in Your Practice
- Implementing Fluoride Varnish in Your Office (PDF)
Information on how to set up your office for applying fluoride varnish, minimizing the impact it will have on office operations.
- Fluoride Varnish Ordering Information (PDF)
Providers may obtain information about the cost and benefits of each type of fluoride varnish and information on how providers may order fluoride varnish.
- Fluoride Varnish Application Facts (PDF)
Information about the process of applying varnish is included.
- Billing Effectively for Fluoride Varnish (PDF)
Providers may obtain information on how to receive MassHealth agency reimbursement for the fluoride varnish visit.
MassHealth Transmittal Letters
- CHC-93: Coverage for Fluoride Varnish Applied by Medical Assistants
- PHY-135: Coverage for Fluoride Varnish Applied by Medical Assistants
- CHC-82: Application of Fluoride Varnish by Pediatricians and Other Qualified Health Care Professionals (PDF)
- PHY-123: Application of Fluoride Varnish by Pediatricians and Other Qualified Health Care Professionals (PDF)
This information is provided by MassHealth .