Infection Control, Testing, and Surveillance
- MDPH Recommendations and Resources for the Control of Influenza and Pneumococcal Disease
- Control of Influenza and Pneumococcal Disease in Long-Term Care Facilities
CDC resource page with information on influenza prevention and control in a variety of healthcare settings. This page includes guidelines, educational materials, and related resources.
This document provides a template for tracking influenza-like illness (ILI) among patients and staff in your facility.
Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory influenza and other respiratory illness specimen collection instructions.
Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory Specimen Submission form that must accompany all respiratory specimens sent to the State Lab for influenza testing.
CDC resource page offering influenza testing guidance and procedural documents for medical providers and laboratory staff.
- Division 6.2 Infectious Substance Shipping Guide: Classification, Packing, Marking and Labeling file size 1MB
This booklet is designed to provide general information and guidance regarding the packaging and shipping of Division 6.2 Infectious substances to the Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory.
Influenza Surveillance Program
This letter introduces the MDPH influenza sentinel surveillance program and describes how interested healthcare providers can participate in seasonal influenza surveillance each flu season.
This flyer describes the opportunity for healthcare facilities to submit respiratory specimens to the Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory for free testing during flu season to help track circulating influenza strains and other various respiratory pathogens.
This flyer describes the opportunity for healthcare facilities to track influenza-related visits in the office as part of CDC’s ILINet Surveillance Program, providing a national picture of influenza and influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in the U.S. as each season unfolds.
Massachusetts Surveillance Reports
During flu season, detailed reports about influenza in Massachusetts are posted weekly on the Massachusetts Public Health Blog.
These are the cumulative reports at the end of each flu season.
- Final Weekly Flu Report of 2015-2016 Season file size 1MB
- Final Weekly Flu Report of 2014-2015 Season
- Final Weekly Flu Report of 2013-2014 Season
- Final Weekly Flu Report of 2012-2013 Season
- Final Weekly Flu Report of 2011-2012 Season
- Influenza in Massachusetts 2007-2011
Copies of the "Weekly Influenza Update" from 2005 – current are available by calling (617) 983-6800. Ask to speak with an immunization epidemiologist.