Resources for Healthcare Professionals
- Seasonal Flu Vaccination Resources for Health Professionals (CDC)
- CDC resource page with information about the current influenza season, dosage and administration, vaccine composition, storage and handling, target groups for vaccination, supply and distribution, effectiveness and safety, and patient education.
- Strategies for Increasing Adult Vaccination Rates (CDC)
- CDC resource page highlighting strategies to increase adult vaccination rates including making a strong recommendation, reminder systems, and how to improve coverage rates for high risk populations.
- Flu Vaccine Safety Summary for Clinicians (CDC)
- CDC summary of seasonal influenza safety resources including key facts and safety associated with each type of vaccine (IIV, LAIV, and RIV).
Planning Clinics and Campaigns
- Flu Vaccine for Everyone: Reaching and Engaging Diverse Communities file size 3MB
file size 7MB
- This is a comprehensive guide to conducting influenza clinics for healthcare professionals and community based organizations to reach diverse populations.
- Vaccine Reimbursement Program for Public Providers
- Commonwealth Medicine, the health care consulting division of UMass Medical School, manages a program to reimburse public providers for vaccines and their administration through billing of health plans.
- MassHealth Flu and Adult Vaccine Program for Local Public Health Providers
- MassHealth page with information on the flu and adult vaccine reimbursement program with instructions on how to enroll as a MassHealth provider, billing information, and other helpful resources.
- CDC Guidelines for Large-Scale Influenza Vaccination Clinic Planning
- CDC resource page outlining the logistics and considerations needed to plan a high volume vaccination clinic.
Vaccine Dosage and Administration
- Massachusetts State-Supplied Influenza Vaccine Formulations
- MDPH created table outlining the current state-supplied influenza formulations to ensure you are using the age appropriate formulation and dose for the person you are vaccinating.
- Package Inserts for Influenza Vaccines
- Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS)
- Quick Guide to Dosage, Administration and Storage (CDC)
- Vaccine Information Statement for IIV
Storage and Handling
- Vaccine Management
- VFC Compliance/Vaccine Storage and Handling Webinar Training
- Guidelines for Compliance with Federal Vaccine Administration Requirements 2016
- Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit - CDC
Model Standing Orders
- Standing Orders for Inactivated Influenza Vaccine (IIV)
- Emergency Treatment for Vaccine Reactions (Model Standing Orders)
- For more information on other standing orders, please see the Model Standing Orders section of the MDPH Immunization Program website.
Screening Forms, Consent Forms, and Other Important Documents
- Flu Consent IIV
- MDPH created sample influenza vaccine consent and screening forms. Such forms are intended to be used in settings where children are being vaccinated and the parent/legal guardian is NOT present. Such setting might include, but are not limited to, school-based clinics, public clinics, or visits to practices when the child is unaccompanied by their parent/legal guardian and no other general consent to treat are in place.
- Screening Forms in English and Spanish
- Screening Questionnaire for Inactivated Injectable Influenza Vaccination
- Immunization Clinic: Vaccine Administration Record
- Withdrawal of Permission - Sample Form for Schools
Influenza Vaccination of Healthcare Personnel (HCP)
- Influenza Vaccination of Health-Care Personnel, Recommendations of the HICPAC and ACIP
- 2006 MMWR focused on influenza vaccination of health-care personnel
- Influenza Vaccination Information for Health Care Workers
- CDC resource page on influenza vaccination for health care workers including information on the benefits of vaccination and statistics by health care profession.
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health: Reporting Influenza Vaccination of Healthcare Personnel
- MDPH resource page on reporting information for facilities and flu vaccination reports of healthcare personnel.
- Seasonal Influenza Vaccination of Healthcare Personnel
- MDPH resource page with hospital circular letters related to season influenza vaccination requirements for healthcare personnel.
- MA Immunization Requirements and Recommendations for Healthcare Personnel
- Circular letter from 2012 clarifying MA Immunization Requirements and Recommendations for healthcare personnel.
For up-to-date information for health care providers, please call the MDPH Division of Epidemiology and Immunization at 617-983-6800 or toll free at 888-658-2850.
This information is provided by within the Department of Public Health.