When transportation services coordinate with each other, riders find rides more easily, human service agencies transport consumers more efficiently, and transportation providers see increases in ridership.
- CrossTown Connect member towns in the Acton area jointly share one full-day scheduler instead of each paying a part-time person. As a result, riders gain more flexibility in making reservations, and the towns plan more efficient routes, increasing capacity.
- Vehicle Share – youth-serving organizations in Northern Berkshire County share vehicles instead of each having their own. This vehicle share model allows the organizations to meet their mobility needs at a reduced cost and made their application for funding more competitive.
- Regional Coordinating Councils (RCCs) on community transportation formed across Massachusetts as part of a statewide initiative stemming from the Executive Order 530 report.
- Stakeholders work together to identify and address transportation needs in their region. Transportation providers, planners, human service providers, advocates and self-advocates, and other stakeholders are invited to join. Contact us to get connected.
- RCC accomplishments – each Regional Coordinating Council is different and reflects local priorities.
- Contact us at email@example.com to get involved in coordination efforts
- Funding Opportunities and Resources
- Coordinated Human Service Transportation (CHST) Plans list regional unmet needs and priorities
- Community Transportation Terminology
- Coordinating Council on Access and Mobility federal transportation coordination initiative
- National Center for Mobility Management coordination resources
- National Conference of State Legislatures transportation access and mobility resources
- MassMobility Reports: The Massachusetts Community Transportation Series – research on vehicle share, volunteer driver programs, insurance, and wheelchair-accessible taxis, with examples from Massachusetts
- Sharing the Costs of Human Services Transportation. Transit Cooperative Research Program (TCRP), 2011
- Handbook for Creating Local Transportation Coordinating Councils in Colorado. Colorado Interagency Coordinating Council for Transportation Access and Mobility, 2008
- Strategies to Increase Coordination of Transportation Services for the Transportation Disadvantaged. TCRP, 2004
- Toolkit for Rural Community Coordinated Transportation Services. TCRP, 2004
- Economic Benefits of Coordinating Human Service Transportation and Transit Services. TCRP, 2003
This information is provided by EOHHS Human Service Transportation Office.