Prevention and treatment of chronic disease has emerged as a leading focus of public health efforts across the country. This report provides a glimpse of the alarming obesity epidemic and burden of chronic diseases and their combined impact on the well-being of residents of Massachusetts, as well as the health care system and economy of the Commonwealth.
This information links the rapidly rising rates of chronic diseases to associated risk factors such as poor nutrition, lack of physical activity, poor air quality, and exposure to tobacco. This report also reveals a gap in the state's ability to systematically monitor the impact of many of the chronic diseases on specific ethnic minority groups, including Asians and American Indians, and people with mental and physical disabilities.
In this chapter
Topics covered in Chapter 7 include: Obesity - Asthma - Diabetes - Heart Disease and Stroke - Cancer - Oral Health - Health-Related Quality of Life - Mental Health - Special Note on American Indian Health - Our Aging Population - Policy Perspective by Stuart Chipkin, MD, Research Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst School of Public Health and Health Sciences; Endocrinologist and Director, Diabetes Management Program, Valley Medical Group
For more data or information on topics in Chapter 7
List of figures and tables
Download these figures in .jpeg format to use in your own presentations.
- Figure 7.1 Ecological Model for Obesity Intervention (JPG)
- Figure 7.2 Three of Five Adults in MA are Either Overweight or Obese (JPG)
- Figure 7.3 Overweight/Obesity Among Adults (JPG)
- Figure 7.4 Obesity Among Adults (JPG)
- Figure 7.5 Obese or Overweight Among Adolescents (JPG)
- Figure 7.6 Obesity Among Adults (JPG)
- Figure 7.7 Overweight Among High School Students (JPG)
- Figure 7.8 Regular Physical Activity and Obesity (JPG)
- Figure 7.9a Asthma Control Among Adults (JPG)
- Figure 7.9b Asthma Control Among Children (JPG)
- Figure 7.10 Trends in Prevalence of Current Asthma Among Adults (JPG)
- Figure 7.11 Asthma Hospitalization and ED Rates by Age (JPG)
- Figure 7.12 Asthma Hospitalization Rate by Race and Ethnicity (JPG)
- Figure 7.13 Asthma Hospitalization Rate by EOHHS Region (JPG)
- Figure 7.14 Environmental Triggers in the Homes of Those with Current Asthma (JPG)
- Figure 7.15 Trends in Prevalence of Diabetes Among Adults (JPG)
- Figure 7.16 Major Complications of Diabetes Causes of Kidney Dialysis Diabetes and Hospitalizations for Lower Extremity Amputations (JPG)
- Figure 7.18 Diabetes Death Rates (JPG)
- Figure 7.19 Diabetes Preventive Care (JPG)
- Figure 7.20 Cardiovascular Disease Deaths (JPG)
- Figure 7.21 Coronary Heart Disease Death Rates (JPG)
- Figure 7.22 Stroke Death Rates (JPG)
- Figure 7.23 Total Charges for Inpatient Hospitalizations for CVD (JPG)
- Figure 7.24 Signs and Symptoms of Stroke (JPG)
- Figure 7.25 High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol Among Adults 35 (JPG)
- Figure 7.26 CVD Risk Factors (JPG)
- Figure 7.27 Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality Among Females (JPG)
- Figure 7.28 Prostate Cancer Incidence and Mortality (JPG)
- Figure 7.29 Prostate Cancer Screening Among Men 50 Years (JPG)
- Figure 7.30 Colorectal Cancer Incidence and Mortality (JPG)
- Figure 7.31 Colorectal Cancer Screening Among Adults 50 Years (JPG)
- Figure 7.32 Cancer Incidence and Mortality Rates Among Males (JPG)
- Figure 7.33 Cancer Incidence and Mortality Rates Among Females All Races White Black Asian Hispanic (JPG)
- Figure 7.34 Caries Experience and Untreated Decay Among Young Children (JPG)
- Figure 7.35 No Tooth Loss Among Massachusetts Adults (JPG)
- Figure 7.36 Students with Fair or Poor Health by Disability Status (JPG)
- Figure 7.37 Fair to Poor Health by Conditions and Risk Factors (JPG)
- Figure 7.38 Adults Who Report Being Sad, Blue, Depressed (JPG)
This information is provided by the Department of Public Health.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.