Please review our licensing guidelines prior to submitting your application or taking an exam. These guidelines will provide clear protocol of the Division of Fire Safety’s expectations on license applications, fee schedule and payment, test preparation, cheating, multiple re-exams, and related testing responsibilities.
- Application for Explosives Certificate of Competency (FP-058)
- Application for License to Sell Explosives (FP-078)
- Application for Fireworks/Special Effects User's Certificate (FP-076)
- Application for New and Renewal Fireworks Certificate of Competency (FP-007)
- Application for New and Renewal Special Effects Certificate of Competency (FP-008)
- Application for Permit to Transport Fireworks (FP-006E)
- Application for Cannon/Mortar Certificate of Competency (FP-082)
- Application for Explosive User's Certificate (FP-083)
- Application for Certificate of Registration for Servicing Portable Fire Extinguishers and/or Fixed Fire Extinguishing Systems (FP-085)
- Application for a New Fire Suppression Certificate of Competency (FP-086)
- Application for Renewal of Fire Suppression Certificate of Competency (FP-087)
- Application for Certificate of Competency for Cleaning/Inspecting Commercial Cooking Operations (FP-026)
- Application for Renewal of Certificate of Competency for Cleaning/Inspecting Commercial Cooking Operations (FP-026R)
- Application for License to Sell Black of Smokeless Powder (FP-081)
2016 License Examination Schedule
Please be advised that DFS has undertaken a project to convert from solely a paper based testing system to primarily a computer based testing system. Once the system is available for use, we envision hosting testing on a more regular basis to enhance the opportunities for our customers to schedule, test, and receive test feedback instantaneously. More information will be forthcoming as the project progresses.
You must be pre-registered for all license exams. Your completed current application must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date listed below. Please check the website for updated applications. If your application is received after the applicable deadline, you will not be allowed to sit for the exam. All exams start promptly at 10:00 a.m. unless otherwise noticed.
All license exams are offered at both DFS locations: One State Road in Stow MA (park in the remote lot at the top of the hill) and 100 Grochmal Avenue in Springfield MA (note new location). Directions are available at www.mass.gov/dfs.
If you have questions, please contact the Licensing Desk at 978-567-3700
or by email at email@example.com.
|Examination Dates – Exams start at 10:00 a.m. unless otherwise noticed||Deadlines for Applications received by 5:00 p.m.|
July 13, 2016 (Wednesday)
June 24, 2016 (Friday)
Blasting R & D
August 24, 2016 (Wednesday)
August 5, 2016 (Friday)
Attention All DFS License Holders
If you change your address and hold an approval, license, certificate, or permit from the Department of Fire Services, you have 14 days to notify the Office of the State Fire Marshal, according to state regulations. If you hold a license from the Office of the State Fire Marshal and have recently changed your address, please complete the change of address form and mail it to the address listed below.
If you have any licensing questions, please contact the Licensing Desk at 978-567-3700 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.