Electrical Fire Facts
- In 2014, electrical fires were the leading cause of fire deaths in Massachusetts.
- Eight fatal fires took the lives of 15 people including a July fire in Lowell that took the lives of four adults and three children.
Protect Your Home From Electrical Fires
- For a detailed guide to protecting your home from electrical fires, read the Department of Fire Services pamphlet on Electrical Safety .
- Fire officials recommend having a licensed electrician review your home’s electrical system every ten years. Small upgrades and simple safety checks can prevent larger problems.
- State Fire Marshal Coan offers electrical fire safety tips.
Additional Electrical Fire Safety Information
- U.S. Fire Administration's Electrical Fire Safety Webpage
- NFPA's Electrical Safety Fact Sheet
- NFPA's Electrical Fire Safety in the Home
- Electrical Safety for Older Adults – Electrical Safety Foundation International
- Electrical Safety in the Workplace – NFPA Video