Professional License Information

Search by license type to find out where to apply for, renew, or verify a license, or to file a complaint against a license holder. (Ex. Nursing)

The Office of the State Fire Marshal issues licenses to people and companies engaged in fireworks, blasting, explosives, special effects, cannon and mortar firing, commercial cooking exhaust system cleaning and inspection, special hazard systems and portable fire extinguishers. Code compliance officers review plans and issue permits for the operation of aboveground storage tanks. For information about licensing issues, please contact the Licensing Desk by phone at 978-567-3700 or by email at

Fire Extinguishing Companies

Over 120 companies are licensed to perform maintenance and repair on portable and/or fixed fire extinguishing systems. The companies who are licensed by the Office of the State Fire Marshal to perform work in compliance with 527 CMR 1.00, can be found by searching our DFS License Lookup. For those who wish to do work in the City of Boston, please contact the Boston Fire Department.

Commercial Cooking Exhaust System Cleaning Inspection License

Any person engaged in the cleaning and inspection of commercial cooking operations must hold a Certificate of Competency issued by the State Fire Marshal. All cleaning and inspection that takes place must comply with the regulation. The regulation is based on the 527 CMR 1.00. pdf format of Massachusetts 527 CMR 1.00

Telephone Numbers:

OSFM Code Compliance and Enforcement Unit(978) 567-3375
Licensing and Permits(978) 567-3700
Fire & Explosion Investigation Section(978) 567-3310
Arson Hotline(800) 682-9229
Western Mass. Office(413) 587-3181
Public Fire Safety Education Hotline(877) 9NO-FIRE