Electrical Fire Facts
- Forty-one people have died in electrical fires in Massachusetts over the past five years (2011-15).
- Electrical fires are one of the leading causes of fire deaths for people over 65.
Protect Your Home From Electrical Fires
- For a detailed guide to protecting your home from electrical fires, read the Department of Fire Services pamphlet:
- Fire officials recommend having a licensed electrician review your home’s electrical system every ten years. Small upgrades and simple safety checks can prevent larger problems.
- Consider installing tamper resistant (TR) outlets in homes with small children.
Additional Electrical Fire Safety Information
- U.S. Fire Administration's Electrical Fire Safety Webpage
- NFPA's Electrical Safety Fact Sheet
- NFPA's Electrical Fire Safety in the Home
- Electrical Safety for Older Adults – Electrical Safety Foundation International