Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the Boston Survivors Accessibility Alliance (BSAA)?
The BSAA was established by the Department of Public Safety to assist individuals who sustained physical injuries as a result of the Marathon bombings on April 15, 2013 with renovations to help transition to a new lifestyle.  The focus of the services offered by the BSAA will be on home modifications; however, consideration may be given to modifications to businesses owned by the individual.  These requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

The Department has partnered with private and public individuals and groups in the building and construction industry to serve as the single point of contact, and a resource clearing house for services and goods which will be necessary to make these modifications.  Modifications may include construction of ramps, widening doorways to accommodate wheelchairs, reconfiguring bathroom or kitchen space or other appropriate renovations. The BSAA will focus on assisting survivors in obtaining suitable design and construction services, sorting through permitting and approvals processes, and general guidance through what may otherwise be a daunting task.  

2. What are the eligibility requirements?
Eligibility requirements include a physical injury suffered as the result of the bombings on April 15, 2013 which necessitate a modification to the applicant’s home and/or business.  Requests for modifications to applicant owned businesses will be reviewed on a case by case basis.  Services required for psychological injuries, such as post traumatic stress disorder are not those which will be addressed by the BSAA.  


3. How do I file an application for services with the BSAA?
Please click here pdf format of Boston Survivors Access Alliance Assistance Request
for an application.


4. In order to file an application with the BSAA, do I have to file an application first with any other organization (i.e., the OneFund, the Crime Victim Compensation Division through the Office of the Attorney General)?
Not necessarily, however it is strongly encouraged.  The application includes eligibility requirements which include verification that the injuries sustained were the result of the bombings on April 15, 2013.


5. I am a victim of the Boston Marathon Bombings, but do not live in Massachusetts.  Am I eligible for any services offered through the BSAA?
Perhaps.  Members of the BSAA have offered to reach out to colleagues in other states on a case-by-case basis to facilitate points of contact for donated services and materials as needed.


6. I currently rent, and do not own my current home.  Am I eligible for services through the BSAA?
Perhaps.  The BSAA will look at the circumstances on a case by case basis.


7. Will the BSAA assist in renovations to my workplace?
If you own the business, modifications to the workplace may be considered on a case by case basis.


8. If I did not sustain a physical injury as a result of the bombings on April 15th, am I eligible for services offered through the BSAA?

No.  The focus of this organization is to address accessibility issues resulting from physical injuries suffered as a result of the marathon bombings.  There are many other resources available to those who suffered non-physical injuries and/or trauma.  Please click here for the Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance and here for the Attorney General of Massachusetts.


9. If I need free legal advice as I work through this process, are there resources available?  

Yes, the Department has reached out to both the Massachusetts Bar Association ( and the Boston Bar Association (, who are available for assistance.

The Massachusetts Bar Association will offer individuals impacted by the Boston Marathon bombing free legal advice through its Dial-A-Lawyer program.  

The Boston Bar Association is connecting individuals and small businesses affected by the Boston Marathon bombing to lawyers that can provide pro bono legal assistance for issues such as insurance, labor and employment, relocation, health, and other issues.  To access these services, please call the Lawyer Referral Service intake line at (617) 742-0625 or (800) 552-7046 Monday thru Thursday 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. EST and Friday 8:30 am- 5 pm EST.