Winners will be selected from three (3) grade categories as listed in the rules. Selected posters will be included into the 2008 Amusement Safety Awareness Calendar.
The Rules are as follows:
- The contest to be open to all Massachusetts elementary age school children in grades 1 through 6. Posters will be received from public and private schools, home schools, and recreation centers. Posters will be judged in the following grade categories:
Group 1 - 1 st and 2 nd grades
Group 2 - 3 rd and 4 th grades
Group 3 - 5 th and 6 th grades
- The poster theme must be related to amusement safety in a positive approach and be the original concept of the student.
- Posters should not contain likenesses of copyrighted, trademarked, syndicated, or clipart images. Any poster containing such image(s) can not be selected as the winner of monetary prize or be included in the Amusement Safety Calendar.
- Entries must be done in marker, crayon, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored pencil or tempura paint. Computer generated art or computer generated printing is not acceptable.
- Posters MUST be submitted on 11" x 17" poster board or some other rigid paper product. Posters submitted on paper other than 11" x 17" will not be considered for judging in statewide competition.
- On the back of each poster, attach a completed entry form in the upper right corner. Please legibly print the ink or type on the entry form. The entry form may be found on the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety website at www.mass.gov/dps
- Entries should not be matted, mounted, laminated, framed, folded or rolled.
- Posters must be the work of the student. Parents and teachers may provide consultation and guidance, but all drawing, lettering and preparation must be the work of the student.
- Each participating school or recreation center should establish a panel of judges for local selection of one first place winner for each of the three categories.
- Only the 1 st place poster from each grade category is to be mailed to the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety, 1 Ashburton Place, Room 1301, Boston, MA 02108, for inclusion in the final statewide competition. Posters must be received no later than the close of business, May 11, 2007 to be eligible for consideration.
- Posters submitted for inclusion in the statewide competition will not be returned.
- Posters are judged based upon several elements including artistic talent displayed, overall theme, relevance to amusement safety, and reproducibility of poster into the calendar.
- Winning posters will be announced no later than June 11, 2007.
- Winners of the statewide competition will receive United States Maturing Savings bonds:
- $1,000 for the overall winner
- $500 for the 1 st place winner in each grade category
- $250 for the 2 nd place winner in each grade category
- $100 for the 3 rd place winner in each grade category
- $50 for the 4 th place winner in each grade category
- $25 for the 5 th place winner in each grade category
- These contest rules and prizes may be changed and/or updated at any time.
Poster Contest Dates:
Friday, May 11, 2007 - Poster submission deadline to Massachusetts Department of Public Safety
Amusement Safety Poster Contest
1 Ashburton Place, Room 1301
Boston, MA 02108
Monday, June 11, 2007 - Poster contest winners announced
* Family members of DPS employees are not eligible.