ESTABLISHMENT OF THE BOSTON SURVIVORS ACCESSIBILITY ALLIANCE (BSAA)
(To assist individuals injured in the Marathon bombings)
We have all been deeply affected by the Marathon bombings on April 15th which left so many innocent people seriously injured. Like many of you, the Department is looking for ways to help the survivors of the bombings. Towards this end, the Department has established the Boston Survivors Accessibility Alliance (BSAA) to assist those who may need assistance with renovations to help transition to a new lifestyle. The focus of these services will be on home modifications; however, consideration may be given to modifications to businesses owned by the individual. These requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
The Department is partnering with private and public individuals and groups in the building and construction industry to serve as the single point of contact, and a resource clearing house for services and goods which will be necessary to make these modifications. Modifications may include construction of ramps, widening doorways to accommodate wheelchairs, reconfiguring bathroom or kitchen space or other appropriate renovations. The group will focus on assisting individuals in obtaining suitable design and construction services, sorting through permitting and approvals processes, and general guidance through what may otherwise be a daunting task. The hope is that these services will be donated and all fees waived.
In addition, legislation was recently passed which authorizes the Department to expend funds for individuals who either lost a limb or lost the use of a limb as a result of the Marathon bombings. These funds will be used not only for home modifications, but also for moving expenses for eligible victims to obtain suitable accessible housing.
The Boston Survivors Accessibility Alliance is comprised of the following entities:
- Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts
- Bath Fitter
- Boston Bar Association
- Boston Society of Architects
- Boston Society of Civil Engineers
- Boston University Facilities Management & Planning
- Building Officials of Western Massachusetts
- Commonwealth Financial Network
- Construction Management & Builders, Inc.
- Driving Solutions
- Solutions for Accessibility
- Garaventa Lift New England
- Home Builders & Remodelers Association of Massachusetts
- Homes For Our Troops
- International Union of Elevator Constructors Local 4
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Building Commissioners and Inspection Association
- Massachusetts Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Massachusetts Federation of Building Officials
- Massachusetts Association for Occupational Therapists
- Massachusetts Office on Disability
- Massachusetts Retail Lumber Dealers Association
- Merz Construction
- Metropolitan Cabinets & Countertops
- New England Regional Council of Carpenters
- Nixon Peabody, LLC – Attorneys at Law
- Organizing Strategies
- ProSource of New England Wholesale Floor coverings
- Rebuilding Together-Boston /Springfield
- Shawmut Design & Construction
- Stannah Stairlifts, Inc.
- This Old House
- ThyssenKrupp Elevator Americas
- Tiles Plus More
- Van Deusen & Associates
Please click here for a Boston Survivor Accessibility Alliance Request for Assistance Form .
Please click here file size 1MB
for the Department’s Power Point presentation explaining the process.
Please click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's).
For information on additional resources, please click here for the Attorney General of Massachusetts, Victim Compensation and Assistance Division and here for the Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance.