Types of Relay: STS or Speech-to-Speech
What is MassRelay?
MassRelay is a free service for the residents of Massachusetts. It enables people who are deaf, hard of hearing, late-deafened, or speech
disabled to communicate over the phone.
Is this for me?
If you have difficulty speaking clearly on the phone, Speech-to-Speech (STS) is for you. STS is designed for people who can hear, but may have difficulty being understood. Our STS Operators are trained to be familiar with a wide variety of speech patterns. You can use your own voice to speak directly to people you call, and the STS Operator will be there to clarify as needed. This makes it easier for you to stay in touch with your friends and family, make a business call, set a doctor's appointment, or even order a pizza!
Free. Simple. Confidential.
MassRelay is a free service available 24 hours a day. You only pay for any long distance charges. You have the freedom to communicate with anyone over the telephone. All calls are confidential.
Do I need special equipment?
No, you do not need special equipment. You only need a telephone to access the Relay Operator. For information about available equipment, contact the Massachusetts Equipment Distribution Program at 800-300-5658, or visit MassEDP online.
How do I make a call?
It's simple! Call MassRelay STS at 866-645-9870.
• Give the STS Operator the area code and phone number you want to call, plus any instructions.
• The operator will dial the number and ask the person if he or she is familiar with STS, then explain if necessary.
• The operator will help you clarify or revoice your conversation at your request. Say "Go Ahead" or "GA" each time you finish speaking and are ready for a response.
Make things easier with Caller Preferences
To make calls easier and faster, customize your call preferences. The STS Operator can use your Caller Preferences every time you make a call.
• connect your call faster
• add people who you call often to your speed dial
• customize your call greetings
• select your long distance carrier, and more
Set your preferences online, or by calling 800-720-3479.
• Take your time. There is no time limit for your calls.
• Give the operator as much information as possible before your call is connected. For example, for an automated system that requires you to select from among options, provide your selections up front.
• It is helpful if you pause while the operator revoices.
• Indicate how involved you want the operator to be in your call, either to repeat everything you say or to clarify only when invited.
• You are in charge of your call. You can also request a male or female operator.
• Call Customer Service if you have questions or comments about your call 800-720-3479.