1033 Program Overview
The U.S. Department of Defense (D0D) 1033 Program permits the Secretary of Defense to transfer excess DoD supplies and equipment to state and local law enforcement agencies for use in their law enforcement duties. This property is procured at no cost to the agency with the exception of any shipping or transportation costs.
The type of property available includes but is not limited to tactical and riot gear, vehicles, watercraft, weapons, and night vision. All equipment must be strictly accounted for. When no longer needed agencies must request permission for turn in, transfer, or disposal.
Agencies must request participation in the program through the Governor appointed State Coordinator. The Coordinator will facilitate the application process with the Federal Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO).
Who Can Participate?
Any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency that has arrest and apprehension authority can participate in the 1033 program. The agency must enter into a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the State Coordinator's office.
Types of Equipment Available
Equipment that is available is separated into two categories, major and minor items.
Examples of minor items would be office equipment, mechanical equipment, and clothing. Examples of major items include weapons, night vision, aircraft, and tactical equipment.
How to Enroll
Agencies wishing to participate in the program must take the following steps and submit the appropriate paperwork.
1. Submit an Application for Participation.
2. Enter into an MOA with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
3. All agencies must be approved for participation by both the State Coordinator and the Law Enforcement Support Office(LESO)
4. The agency will then receive an authorization letter allowing them to requisition property.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts Memorandum of Agreements may be obtained by clicking on the link below.
Any agencies with questions regarding enrollment or participation are invited to contact Mr. Joseph Kelly at 508-820-2134.
1033 Program Requisition Process
1. A Law Enforcement Agency that has been approved for participation in the program will log in to the 1033 program property search site using the username and password provided by the State Coordinator.
2. The agency may print out a copy of the system user manual located at the top of this page for assistance. The LEA can then search for property using the item name or national stock number.
3. When property of interest is located the agency can "tag" this property. The agency will fill in the quantity requested and a justification as to how the property will be used. Once the agency clicks the submit button the request is sent electronically to the State Coordinator.
4. All agencies must submit written approval for the request from the Chief Executive Official of the City/Town or College/University.
5. Within twenty four hours the LEA may log in to the system to see if the request was approved.
6. If approved, the LEA is responsible for making arraignments for the pick up or shipment of the property.
7. When the property is received by the agency they will receive a form "1348". This form will be signed by the LEA and serve as proof of receipt.
8. The LEA is required under the MOA to forward a copy of the form "1348" to the State Coordinator for permanent filing.
Forms and Documents:
Massachusetts MOA 2015 file size 5MB