(left to right) Tony DiMaranisi, Michael McKimmey, Ben Whittaker, Major John V. Dunn, Col. Mark F. Delaney, Lt. Carl McNight, Representative Paul K. Frost, Senator Stephen M. Brewer and Senator Edward M. Augustus, Jr.
On Wednesday, November 29, 2006, at 1:00 p.m., Colonel Mark F. Delaney, Superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police, presided over a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new Millbury State Police Barracks. Invited guests included Deputy Commissioner of the Division of Capital Asset Management Michael McKimmey; State Senator Stephen M. Brewer of Worcester, Hampden, Hampshire and Franklin County; State Senator Edward M. Augustus, Jr., of Worcester County; and Representative Paul K. Frost of the Seventh District, Worcester County.
The new barracks is located off of Route 20 in Millbury and replaces the Grafton barracks, which was situated on Route 140 in Grafton. The Grafton barracks was built in 1931, prior to the construction of some of the major roadways in the area such as Rte 495 and the Massachusetts Turnpike. This new 18,000 square feet, state-of-the-art facility is a stark contrast compared to the old Grafton barracks. The new facility contains a modern cell block area, fitness area, high-tech communications center, conference rooms and a prisoner sally port.
With the increase in population and growth in the Blackstone Valley, the State Police have responded to an increase in calls for service. This new facility will allow the State Police to provide the most efficient use of services to the citizens of the Commonwealth. The extensive patrol area for the Millbury barracks is comprised of: Route 495 from Route 20 in Marlboro to the Bellingham/Franklin line; the entire length of Route 146 from Worcester to Rhode Island line and Routes 9 and 20 from Worcester to the Framingham line. The coverage area for the barracks also includes 19 cities in towns in south central Massachusetts.