For Immediate Release - March 31, 2013

State Police Arrest for OUI Second Offense after pursuit on Rt. 93 in Boston

This morning at 4:53 a.m. Trooper James DeAngelis from the State Police Barracks in South Boston observed a motor vehicle stopped in the high speed lane on Route 93 northbound, south of Exit 13 in Boston.  Trooper DeAngelis stopped behind the vehicle and approached to investigate.

Trooper DeAngelis discovered the operator, ERIC FUNES, 29, of Framingham unconscious behind the wheel of a 2005 Toyota Corrolla.  Trooper DeAngelis attempted to rouse FUNES to ascertain why had stopped his vehicle in the high speed lane of the highway.  When FUNES awoke, he started to travel down Route 93 northbound away from Trooper DeAngelis.  

Trooper DeAngelis returned to his cruiser and attempted to stop FUNES.  FUNES refused to stop and led Trooper DeAngelis on a low speed pursuit down the highway.  Additional troopers responded to assist Trooper DeAngelis.  In the area of Exit 15, troopers deployed a tire deflation device.  FUNES’ vehicle traveled over the tire deflation device and as a result FUNES’ vehicle sustained three flat tires and stopped shortly thereafter in the left lane prior to the Tip O’Neil Tunnel. The entire pursuit lasted for approximately three miles.

FUNES was arrested by Trooper DeAngelis for Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol, Second Offense.  He was transported to the State Police Barracks in South Boston where he was booked and eventually released on bail.  He will be arraigned on Tuesday April 2 at Dorchester District Court.

FUNES  was charged with the following offenses:

  1. OUI Second Offense
  2. Failure to Stop for Police
  3. Driving to Endanger
  4. Marked Lanes Violation

Trooper DeAngelis was assisted on this stop by State Police Sergeant Derek Outerbridge, Sergeant William Fitzmaurice, Trooper Brian Sullivan, and Trooper Richard Lauria.

There is no further information available at this time.  Please do not contact the barracks directly.